Polk City was incorporated as a Town in 1925 and became a city in 2005. This community is small in size, with a population of less than 2,000 residents covering the 5 square miles of land. The city was named after the county itself and the eleventh President of the United States, James Knox Polk. Fantasy of Flight is a well known aviation-related attraction in Polk County that takes visitors back to the pioneering days of early flight, World War I, World War II and beyond. This tiny city is close to everything and away from it all. Below you will find a list of the companies in town that we like to deal with.
Shop Local – Shop All About Polk
History of Polk City: Farmers began to clear and farm this patch of land during the 1800’s back when there was no power and the water supply came from shallow wells which had been dug by hand. The area was really just a group of farms and getting anywhere, like to stores, was pretty far away on horseback or by buggy. Things changed in the summer of 1922 when Isaac Van Horn was traveling thru Polk County and stopped in this area to cool off at what is now Lake Agnes. The natural beauty he observed and the breeze through the trees and rolling hills reminded him of his home town in Boston. Isaac Van Horn’s profession as a developer and as an investor provided him with essential financial connections in New Jersey and New York. Van Horn believed that there were oil fields waited to be exploited just north of where Polk City is today.
This belief caused him to bring in an oil drilling company and created jobs for many men within the area. Families came from all over to this area for jobs in the oil drilling industry. The closet town was 14 miles away and with so many people living in the area, Isaac Van Horn purchased two square miles of land in what is now the center of Polk City. The land was cleared and expansion began. By the middle of 1925 Polk City had become a busy place. The increasing population and new construction led to the incorporation of the town of Polk City on April 3rd, 1925. Mr. Van Horn was responsible for naming the town.
Seven years after he began his search for oil, Van Horn realized that there must not be any oil in Polk City. Oil drilling rigs soon moved out of town and soon afterwards came the great financial crash which began on October 19, 1929. With no industry or oil wells to work on families began to lose their property, homes and everything they had worked so hard for. Between 1930 and 1960 Polk City saw its population diminish from 600 people to just 203. It was during this time that Van Horn moved from Polk City to Lakeland and then back north. Following World War Two, negotiations between Van Horn and Associates and Mrs. John R. Brandon of New Jersey began. The Town of Polk City was transferred to a municipal property in exchange for the bonds. This action left Polk City free of all debts. Once the town’s debt load was eliminated, the town began a slow but steady recovery The town has grown from its small population of 203 in 1960 to nearly 2,000 people today living within the city limits.