Davenport – All About Polk County
Davenport was originally known as Horse Creek, a name given by the railroad. It was also informally known as Mo Water. In 1886, the name was changed to Davenport, some claim it was named after Colonel William Davenport who commanded Fort Davenport about 12 miles northwest of here during the Seminole Wars and some claim it’s from a conductor named Davenport on the South Florida Railroad.
The town of Davenport in Polk County, Florida was officially incorporated in March of 1915.
The City Hall is a Mediterranean Revival style building that opened in September of 1927. In 2002 a museum was opened on the first floor of the city hall building. There’s even a vintage fire truck in the museum. Upstairs is a reading room restored with books from the 1920’s Library.
Davenport is in the northeast area of Polk County and used to be centered around the Circus World amusement park. In 1987 it was re-opened as Boardwalk and Baseball and included a minor league baseball park that would attract spring training and minor league baseball teams for the Kansas City Royals, earning the area the moniker “Baseball City”. The amusement park failed a few years later in 1990, and the Royals left for Arizona and the Cactus League in 2003. The Baseball City name is now extinct, and the area around the stadium (which was demolished in 2005) has been redeveloped into Posner Park, a large outdoor shopping mall.
While the city itself is very small, the area north of the city close to Interstate 4 and US 27 is experiencing explosive growth. There are a few local area attractions in Davenport along Highway 27.